Apple pie is definitely one of the American comfort food and it takes you back to memories of home. Just one mouthful of apple pie sends us back through time. There’s something about the rolling out of the dough, the peeling and slicing of the apples, the grating of the oranges and lemons, the scent of the cinnamon that puts us in a contemplative mood.
To satisfy your cravings here’s an apple pie recipe courtesy of Tasty:
INGREDIENTS for 8 servings
flour (320 g)
butter, 1 1/2 sticks, cold, cubed (170 g)
ice water, or as needed
granny smith apple, cored, sliced, peeled (1 kg)
sugar (150 g)
- ½ lemon
- 1 egg, beaten
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the flour and salt. Mix with fork until combined.
- Add in cubed butter and break up into flour with a fork. Mixture will still have lumps about the size of small peas.
- Gradually add the ice water and continue to mix until the dough starts to come together. You may not need all of the water, but if the dough is too dry then add more. The dough should not be very tacky or sticky.
- Work the dough together with your hands and turn out onto a surface. Work into a ball and cover with cling wrap. Refrigerate.
- Peel the apples, then core and slice.
- In a bowl, add the sliced apples, sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and juice from the lemon.
- Mix until combined and all apples are coated. Refrigerate.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (200°C).
- On a floured surface, cut the pie dough in half and roll out both halves until round and about ⅛-inch (3 mm) thick.
- Roll the dough around the rolling pin and unroll onto a pie dish making sure the dough reaches all edges. Trim extra if necessary.
- Pour in apple filling mixture and pat down.
- Roll the other half of the dough on top.
- Trim the extra dough from the edges and pinch the edges to create a crimp. Make sure edges are sealed together.
- Brush the pie with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the sugar.
- Cut four slits in the top of the pie to create a vent.
- Bake pie for 50-60 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and no greyish or undercooked pastry remains.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.
- Top with ice cream and serve.
Too busy to bake? No worries, grab Aubert & Amandine in limited edition - Comfort Scent. The cozy scents of apple and cinnamon will never fail to take you down memory lane.